How to get a divorce
You must satisfy a divorce court that one or more of the following is true, as proof that your marriage is over:
- Adultery by your husband or wife
- Unreasonable behavior by your husband or wife (any behavior that means you find it impossible to live with them)
- Desertion for a period of at least two years
- Two years’ separation, if you both agree to the divorce
- Five years’ separation, if there is no agreement to the divorce
How BLS Law can help
Our divorce lawyers will work hard to resolve issues through negotiation with your spouse and his or her solicitor. We will advise on mediation so that you can achieve the best terms. If negotiation is out of the question and mediation breakdown, we will litigate the case in court.
Civil Partnerships are the legal status to giving comparable rights to same sex couples as those enjoyed by married heterosexual couples.
If you want to dissolve your civil partnership, you will need to apply to a court for a dissolution order. Your civil partnership must have lasted at least one year before you can apply for a Dissolution Order. You must prove to the court that the civil partnership has ‘irretrievably’ broken down – that is broken down on a permanent basis.
You must be able to prove at least one of the following things:
- Your partner has behaved unreasonably
- You and your partner have lived apart for two years, and that you both agree to the dissolution
- You and your partner have lived apart for at least five years, if only one of you agree to the dissolution
- Your partner deserted you at least two years ago
We are also able to deal with a range of other matters relating to Civil Partnerships including financial claims, child matters and division of assets.
The financial implications of divorce
Our family lawyers also deal with the financial implications which the breakdown of a marriage/civil partnership brings with it. Financial matters can usually be resolved amicably by way of negotiations and mediation.
However, inevitably matters concerning finances do become contentious necessitating the involvement of the family court.
Where finances are an issue, our divorce lawyers are able to offer a range of different funding options to suit your needs.
Call our expert Divorce Lawyers
Our divorce lawyers have an excellent proven track record in regard to all aspects of divorce, finances and children. We have over 20 years of experience with a wide range of divorce related issues.